Establishing a New SRL Facility: From Lab Design, Instrument Purchase, Understanding Your User Base
Recorded On: 06/10/2017
- Non-member - Free!
- Full - Free!
- Student - Free!
- SRL Junior Staff - Free!
- SRL Emerging Leader - Free!
- Scholar - Free!
- Emeritus - Free!
- Life - Free!
- ISAC Staff - Free!
- Community Administrator - Free!
- Student Non-Member - Free!
- SRL Junior Staff Non-member - Free!
- Innovator - Free!
Gelo Dela Cruz
Danish Stem Cell Center
NYU School of Medicine
Monash Health Translation Precinct
In establishing a new SRL Facility, or comprehensively upgrading an existing one, many factors have to be considered beyond the scope of purchasing an instrument and hiring someone to operate it. There is a wealth of expertise and published literature that can act as a guide, but major challenges arise in order to successfully implement the best practices needed to have a functional and productive SRL. It is the task of the new facility manager to gather detailed information about the need for the core facility and refine this knowledge to get a realistic image and plan to set up and equip the shared resource lab.
- Selecting the right manager and support staff.
- Ensuring the dedicated space fulfils the needs for now and the future, depending on the space allocated, or the space that can be made.
- Understanding your user base, the direction of the institute, the access to other SRLs, and basing instrument purchases and infrastructure construction around these.
- Funding considerations: allocating and ensuring money streams to fulfil the needs and wants of the SRL.
- Ancillary equipment and infrastructure considerations beyond flow cytometers.
CMLE Credit: 1.5